[asterisk-users] SQLite3 astdb back-end

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Fri May 2 08:57:20 CDT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:11 AM, thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you load the contact list?  It's a database?  Sqlite3?
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/SQLite3+astdb+back-end
>
> I'm not clear on what this specific database does.  If it's not this
> specific database which has contact information, which database does?

Prior to Asterisk 10, Asterisk's internal database was a Berkeley
database. For a variety of reasons, in Asterisk 10, we moved to using
SQLite. Generally, this change was "under the hood", but people
upgrading from Asterisk 1.8 to a later version needed to be aware of
it.

The database really has two purposes:
(1) Asterisk uses it to store information that needs to persist
between reloads/restarts. Various modules use it for this purpose
automatically.
(2) Users can use it to store arbitrary data. This is done using a
variety of dialplan applications and functions:

* https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+11+Function_DB
* https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+11+Function_DB_DELETE
* https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+11+Function_DB_EXISTS
* https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+11+Function_DB_KEYS
* https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+11+Application_DBdeltree

Whether or not you store 'contact information' (and that could have a
variety of meanings, so I won't interpret it specifically) is up to
you.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager