[asterisk-users] Skip ./configure when source directory has not changed

Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Tue Mar 25 20:03:17 CDT 2014

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:20:45 +0100
Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A silly question bouncing in my head for a long time :
> when I'm installing-configuring a new Asterisk system, I'm using a
> script that issue the usual ./configure, make and make install
> commands to install Asterisk from source.
>
> When installation fails for any reason, I would re-run my installation
> script which in turn, among many things, would launch the
> above ./configure command.
>
> Is there a smart way to accelerate things a bit and skip ./configure
> when source files have not changed since last configure command was
> previously run ?

You kind of have it backwards there.  You would only be able to
skip ./configure if you changed the source files but didn't change
anything else on the system (e.g., libraries or utilities).  But
there's no way for a build script to know if anything on the system
changed without running ./configure.  That's what ./configure does.  So
the only sensible thing to do is to run it every time.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company