[asterisk-users] ast_writefile: No such format 'h261', yet h261 is the only video format that works.

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Fri Mar 21 15:07:11 CDT 2014

On (21/03/14 15:20), Adrian Serafini <wealwildwon at wombit.com> put forth the proposition:
>On 03/21/2014 02:09 PM, David Woodfall wrote:
>>>H.323 is a communications protocol like SIP.   H261 is a codec like
>>>ulaw or gsm.      You do not need H323 unless you are using the H323
>>>protocol INSTEAD of SIP.
>>
>>I see. In Ekiga video codec window they are listed like:
>>
>>[ ] h261    90kHz H.323. SIP
>
>Ok so your all SIP.  Find the command to show the codecs for your
>release.  The wiki has info to point you in the right direction.  For
>old 1.4 releases, I set the codec in the sip.conf file peer.  Also try
>another SIP video phone maybe on android?

core show codecs shows all 4 loaded:

200001 video     h261 (H.261 Video)
200002 video     h263 (H.263 Video)
200003 video    h263p (H.263+ Video)
200004 video     h264 (H.264 Video)

Unfortunately my android phone only has a camera on the back so it is
useless for video conferencing. I will give linphone a try to see if
it's any better.