[asterisk-users] Need more meetme users -- hitting some limit

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Mar 21 10:53:36 CDT 2014

I'm trying to determine the capacity of my host running Asterisk 11.8.1 on
CentOS 6.5.

The host is an Intel E3-1240v3 with 8GB RAM, an SSD, and gigabit Ethernet.

The primary application will be bridging groups of users using meetme().

I'm using 2 boxes -- 1 to initiate calls using call files (box1), and 1
behaving a bit more like a production box -- bridging calls (box2).

The call file on box1 originates a call to box2 and then plays a 2 hour
WAV file.

The dialplan on box2 drops the call into a meetme, creating the room name
from the last 2 digits of the current call count -- distributing the calls
into 100 meetmes.

When I run a script to create 500 call files on box1, box2 starts
complaining at 312 calls, logging 'Unable to open DAHDI pseudo channel:
Cannot allocate memory' on the console.

>From the 'callers perspective' the call is dropped between 'There are
currently x other participants in the conference' and the 'beep-beep.'

'top' says Asterisk is only using about 1/2 gigabyte of RAM.

'top' says Asterisk is using about 250% of the CPU (4 physical, 8 logical
cores).

'ulimit' (added to /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk in the run_asterisk() function)
says the open file limit is 397,006.

'ls -l /proc/$(cat /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid)/fd | wc -l' says
Asterisk only has 2,194 files open.

'iftop' sees about 24Mb of bandwidth in each direction between the boxes.

Using confbridge() I can easily get 3,000 calls (14,869 open files, 180Mb
bandwidth), but I'd lose some functionality and have to re-write parts of
my application.

Any clues of what limit I'm hitting and how to increase it?

--
Thanks in advance,

Thanks in advance,