[asterisk-users] Which is more efficient for 1 to many broadcasting?

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Tue Mar 18 18:16:37 CDT 2014

On 3/18/2014 6:58 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM, James Sharp <james at fivecats.org> wrote:
>> Putting a whole bunch of people into a listen-only/muted Confbridge
>> conference or getting the broadcaster audio into a MOH class and then just
>> having callers attach to that MOH class?
>>
>> Does the the muted side of a Confbridge Room still try to mix in audio from
>> the muted channels or does it just disregard those channels and only run
>> mixes against unmuted channels?
>>
>> Now, if the answer is "MOH is more efficient", can someone suggest a way for
>> a channel to be the source of a MOH class?
>>
> What sort of channel count are you looking for? We did some load
> testing recently and found less people in a bridge is better then
> more.  Audio source location didn't really matter much.

A few hundred to start with, but as with everything, I'd like to scale
up as far as I can.  And, of course, it makes sense that "less people in
a bridge is better than more" but that's not quite what I'm asking.

Is it more efficient to have, for example, 701 people in a confbridge
room (700 muted users + 1 person yapping) or to have 700 people dialed
in and just running the MusicOnHold application with said person yapping
away via some audio source.