[asterisk-users] recording in mp3

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Mon Jun 30 15:30:28 CDT 2014

​You will not be able to able to save much space if any by using MP3
instead of ulaw or wav -- at least not without expending a lot of CPU time
to encode the file at a very low bitrate which sounds pretty bad even with
just speech.  One of the better space savings options for recordings or
voicemail is gsm.  Of course, using an MP3 format just because you ​prefer
that is understandable.

Additionally, I'm nearly 100% certain that Asterisk does not support
encoding and directly writing MP3 files.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM, andrew Colin <andrew at vsave.co.za> wrote:

> Hey guys
>
> Is it possible to record with mixmonitor straight into mp3.
>
> I am trying to reduce disk space and want my calls to be recorded in mp3
> Instead of wav.
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org