[asterisk-users] Internal timing under load is critical ?

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Wed Jul 30 09:41:22 CDT 2014

If you were running on Asterisk 1.4, a Zaptel or Dahdi timing source
(including the Sangoma USB device) was necessary to avoid sometimes
unreliable timing from the "dummy" interface.

For modern releases (1.6, 1.8, 11, 12, etc) this isn't necessary for most
systems.  However, you may have better results with such a large number of
calls by using a hardware timing source.  The difference will vary between
different systems and loads -- I recommend testing it on your own platform.
 Note that changing to a different model with a different motherboard or
even just a different chipset can result in a difference in timing accuracy.

 -- so your best option is to try it both ways under load to see if you see
a benefit, and re-test should you change the platform, such as using a
different motherboard.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 4:08 AM, babak <bk1379 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am evaluating some voice broadcasting solutions based on Asterisks for
> more than 1000 simultaneous calls.
> Connection to Asterisk all are based on SIP and SIP Trunks so no DAHDI
> hardware is required.
> According to some recommendations like http://osdial.org/howto/
> "Internal timing is very critical with Asterisk when it is under load"
> and we must use DAHDI hardware or "USB Voice Synch Tool"
> http://www.sangoma.com/accessories/specialty-tools/
> But according to my understanding of wiki
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Timing+Interfaces
> It seems it is not necessary now.
> Please tell me your opinions.
>
> Regards
>

> --

[image: Digium logo]
Scott Griepentrog
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com · http://asterisk.org