[asterisk-users] Internal calls without voice transport

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Jul 28 04:56:47 CDT 2014

Hey,

we're experiencing a weird problem with Asterisk 1.8.13.1
(1:1.8.13.1~dfsg1-3+deb7). Calls that leave and enter Asterisk via
a PBX (sipgate.de) work perfectly fine, almost 100% of the time.

However, calls that are routed to sipgate.de, which then routes the
call back to our Asterisk instance are "silent" most of the time.

What I mean with that is that even though RTP traffic flows, neither
side can hear anything from the other.

This problem happens when people at site A dial someone at site
B using the number provided by sipgate.de, but also if people call
each other within a site through the external number, i.e. if I dial
089-1234567-100 from 089-1234567-200.

I have not been able to reproduce this problem with purely internal
calls, i.e. calling ext. 100 directly, so I am assuming there's
a problem due to sipgate's involvement. However, as far as
I understand, once the call is established (and both parties' phones
suggest that), the traffic flows only via Asterisk (directmedia
= update,nonat), so the problem is likely to be found there, no?

Before I shower you with debug logs and traces, I am wondering if
this sounds familiar to anyone…?

Thanks,

if god had meant for us to be naked,
we would have been born that way.