[asterisk-users] Use of undeclared identifier 'pvt' in asterisk-12.4.0

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:46:37 CDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Walton wrote:

>>> You are building Asterisk using the 'clang' compiler. At this time
>>> Asterisk
>>> does not support being built with it. You will need to ensure GCC is used
>>> instead.
>>
>> Oh, that's a drag. I specifically choose Clang so I could use its
>> static and dynamic analysis capabilities. The sanitizers rock - they
>> are real tattle tales.
>>
>> Are there any plans to support Clang? If the effort is going on now,
>> then I 'd be happy to help out with porting and testing.
>
> There is one review at https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/3488/ which is a
> proof of concept, but I know of no one actively working on it.
Thanks Joshua. Those nested functions are toxic.

Nested functions have the obvious effect breaking tools like Clang.
But worse, you can't use NX-stacks (-Wl,-z,noexecstack). NX-Stacks and
nested functions are mutually exclusive because GCC places a
trampoline on the stack.

The lack of NX-Stacks could be a security defect and could lead to
governance problems.

Jeff