[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a media gateway

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Fri Jan 31 12:13:20 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM,  <richard.seguin at marisec.ca> wrote:
> I'm playing around in a lab, and I was wondering if its possible to have Asterisk act similar to that of a Avaya PBX, where we have media gateways do the heavy lifting.
>
> This is what I was thinking of trying.
>
> 1.  One asterisk server will contain the logic of the phone system (ex: queues, extensions...etc).
>
> 2.  The mains server will not handle RTP traffic,  it will send the RTP traffic to another system (another asterisk box?) for processing.
>
> At the end of the day, what I am hoping for is to have 1 brain, and mutiple work horse audio gateways that can be added and removed as needed.
>
> Has this been done?  Can anyone point me to some documentation on how others have done this?
>
> It's always fun to play

Yes, this is basically functionality for Asterisk. If you are using
SIP, you want to REINVITE media away from your core Asterisk box.  I
suggest picking up the book[1] and reading the chapter on connecting
multiple Asterisk boxes together.

[1] http://www.asteriskdocs.org/

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.