[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 - looking for ideas and a possible solution

James Wystead szilverthorne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 07:54:23 CST 2014

First, let me thank all of you for your input - I was looking for some sort
of an API to interface with Asterisk via REST. Python, Ruby or something
that we could "webify" using PHP.

Some of you suggested Asterisk 12 - I love the idea, but unfortunately, we
have an Asterisk 11 install. It seems, and I could be wrong, that Asterisk
12 is a whole new 'ball game' so to speak. The big thing is pjsip - nice
idea and I really like it. It looks like a bit of a learning curve and I
don't want have to re-learn at this point - I will, but not right this
second!  However, I have questions:

1. Is it necessary to use pjsip for Asterisk 12 as the extension.conf,
sip.conf has changed gears a little. Can I backtrack to the previous SIP
stack, which segways into another question:

2.  If this is possible (the above scenario) is it still possible to use
these new cool features along with the previous SIP stack so that I can
implement the API?

Thanks to anyone who can give me insight. I don't mean to sound lazy, but
v12 seems to be so new that the information is not as plentiful as previous
versions. I figured there has to be someone that was 'on the ball' with
this and would be happy to share their knowledge!

Thanks again!