[asterisk-users] IOPS required by Asterisk for Call Recording

Mike ispbuilder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 09:46:39 CST 2014

On 14-01-24 11:16 AM, Amit wrote:

> If I assume that Asterisk will write data on disk every second for
> each call, I will need disk array to support minimum of 500 IOPS.
> Where as if Asterisk push data every 2 seconds, I can deal with array
> supporting 250 IOPS.
> But if I assume that Asterisk will write data on disk for every RTP
> packet received, as and when received, I will need disk IO system with
> approx 25000 IOPS assuming 20 ms RTP packet.
You're assuming that asterisk will perform an fsync() after each write.
If asterisk writes without an fsync after each write, then the OS will
schedule writes intelligently based on RAM/disk IO available rather than
scheduling each one as a separate write.

Looking at the code for ast_writestream() there doesn't appear to be an
fsync() type call after each write, but someone more familiar with the
internals of Asterisk would be better able to verify that.

--
Looking for (employment|contract) work in the
Internet industry, preferably working remotely.
the hot thing. Ask for a resume! ispbuilder at gmail.com