[asterisk-users] mixmonitor extension

Fri Jan 24 03:42:50 CST 2014

On 23/01/14 23:37, Marek Cervenka wrote:
> can someone confirm that mp3 is unsupported? is patch available?
>
> what about patch for Opus?
>
> uncle google doesnt know

MP3 is only supported for reading not writing. Its a patent issue as
Asterisk cannot distribute the software to write to mp3 under its own
license.

Its a similar issue with Opus as the codec is covered by a couple of
patents in the USA.

What most people do is use MixMonitor to record to .wav (alaw) and then
in the 'h' extension call a program which runs a background task to
convert the .wav file to whatever format they wish.

Thats what we do but we actually use the Monitor application and we end
up with both legs of the call and multiple sets of recordings if people
pause and unpause. We then move these files off to a different server
when they get mixed and converted to mp3 and then emailed out to our
customers. We do it this way to reduce the load on the Asterisk boxes
but also keep all the call recordings in a central location.