[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 and H.323 trunk using OOH323 - is it stable?

Pat Collins drdialtone at optonline.net
Thu Jan 16 21:36:25 CST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Vladimir
Mikhelson
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:39 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 and H.323 trunk using OOH323 - is
it stable?

On 1/16/2014 6:57 PM, Dan Austin wrote:
> Patrick Lists wrote:
>> On 16-01-14 21:37, Gergely Kiss wrote:
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I'm about to build an Asterisk 11.7 based PBX from scratch for our
>>> company. I'm in the middle of the planning phase and it turned out
>>> that our VoIP provider prefers H.323 protocol for handling voice
>>> calls (while SIP is also supported as "plan B").
>> It's SIP everywhere and anyone who requires you, in 2014, to use
>> H.323 should get a clue. Avoid them or at least demand SIP
> Bah.  There is nothing wrong with a working H.323 stack.  Just
> assuming that they will have a working SIP stack because of the date
> can lead to heartache.
>
>>> As I never worked with H.323 channels in Asterisk earlier, I'm not
>>> sure if it's stable enough to be used in production.
>> No idea. Maybe someone else with H.323 experience will respond. AFAIK
>> it's a dead-end.
> The ooh323 channel has been fairly reliable in our use case, which
> involve connecting to a commercial IP PBX with crud SIP support.  Only
> you can tell if it will work for you however, as sadly many times new
> core features only get tested against the SIP channel(s), or worse
> only implemented there as well.  Our current Asterisk version is
> 11.5.1
>
> Dan

Sorry, have nothing to say of 11.5 but OOH323 works great in 1.8.  I use it
as an Avaya IP Office trunk.  No problems.

As you observed for yourself when you researched the topic there is not a
lot of help available, and Asterisk team prefers to make everybody think
that SIP is the only viable call setup protocol around.  They kind of not
talking a lot about their own IAX any more.

The official H.323 is abandoned.  OOH323 is being supported by a very
capable and responsive guy.  He does not frequent the user list as he
subscribes to the developer list, so I normally transfer the help inquiries
to him if there is no traction here.

-Vladimir

Hey Vladimir, can you share a bit about the ooH323 trunk to IPO
configuration that's stable?
I've tried a few different setups on both sides and wound up using a PRI to
do it.
A call from the IPO to Asterisk (1.6.2 at the time) would crash the Asterisk
box or not work at all.
I'd love to be able to offer this to my IPO and CM customers!
Thank you!
Pat...