[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 and H.323 trunk using OOH323 - is it stable?

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Jan 16 18:57:45 CST 2014

Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 16-01-14 21:37, Gergely Kiss wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I'm about to build an Asterisk 11.7 based PBX from scratch for our
>> company. I'm in the middle of the planning phase and it turned out that
>> our VoIP provider prefers H.323 protocol for handling voice calls (while
>> SIP is also supported as "plan B").

> It's SIP everywhere and anyone who requires you, in 2014, to use H.323
> should get a clue. Avoid them or at least demand SIP
Bah.  There is nothing wrong with a working H.323 stack.  Just assuming
that they will have a working SIP stack because of the date can lead to
heartache.

>> As I never worked with H.323 channels in Asterisk earlier, I'm not sure
>> if it's stable enough to be used in production.

> No idea. Maybe someone else with H.323 experience will respond. AFAIK
> it's a dead-end.
The ooh323 channel has been fairly reliable in our use case, which involve
connecting to a commercial IP PBX with crud SIP support.  Only you can tell
if it will work for you however, as sadly many times new core features only
get tested against the SIP channel(s), or worse only implemented there as
well.  Our current Asterisk version is 11.5.1

Dan