[asterisk-users] G729 Licensing Revisited - I'm Sorry!

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Fri Feb 28 15:23:54 CST 2014

Asterisk transcodes at many other points.  Inband ringing, audio mixing for conferences, beep tones.      It is naive to think you can passthrough g729 and never transcode without spending significant amounts of time tracking down each instance Asterisk would have to transcode.

Over the years I've often seen people claiming "I'm only using it for research/educational use so I don't need a license."    I don't recall a single one of those people who could point to an actual law or case precedent to back up their claim, at least for the United States.  Personally I think it is simply wishful thinking.