[asterisk-users] Asterisk NAT

Rusty Newton rnewton at digium.com
Fri Feb 21 12:02:44 CST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Gholamreza Sabery <gr.sabery at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr. Newton
> Thank you for your response. I red the wiki and sip.conf sample file and I
> know about directmedia option. Actually these options are for times that you
> know about your connected networks (you know which clients are behind NAT
> and which are not). But my configuration is different. I have an A2Billing

>From my understanding and the documentation, the intent with
directmedia=nonat is that it will act like directmedia=yes if the peer
is detected as *not* being behind NAT, and directmedia=no if the peer
is detected as being behind NAT. This implies that the administrator
would not know ahead of time what is needed, otherwise seemingly you
would just use yes or no. However I'm still not sure that will be
helpful for your particular scenario.

> users. Here I want Asterisk to automatically detect when two users are
> behind the same NAT and redirect their traffic inside that NAT; this way the
> load of RTP traffic on Asterisk server will be reduced.

I don't know that this is possible with any simple Asterisk
configuration. Good luck!

--
Rusty Newton
Digium, Inc. | Community Support Manager