[asterisk-users] VoIP over 3G/4G Data

Dreamsteve admin at starinspectioninc.com
Tue Dec 30 16:17:19 CST 2014

David Stahl <davidstahl23 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> We use standard sip ports all day long, and have had no issues with
employee phones on the verzion network.
> On Jul 18, 2014 12:03 PM, "Eric Wieling" <EWieling <at> nyigc.com>
wrote:

> Depends on the carrier.   Verizon Wireless appears to activly block
SIP.    G729 codec is needed on 3G and is a good idea on 4G.   I use TLS
and SRTP to work around carrier stupidity.  I also use a non-standard
port for TLS.   It mostly works much of the time.   Don’t get BRIA,
every time your registration is dropped it will popup a notification.

> From: asterisk-users-bounces <at> lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-
users-bounces <at> lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Tech DudeSent: Friday,
July 18, 2014 1:00 PMTo: asterisk-users <at> lists.digium.comSubject:
[asterisk-users] VoIP over 3G/4G Data

> What are the recommended settings to successfully implement VoIP over
3G/4G data connection. Assume we are talking about using Polycom phones,
and the 3G/4G data connection comes from a Cradlepoint router that is
plugged in with AC power and has high gain antennas. The device will be
stationary, so we will not have to worry about tower handoff’s breaking
the connection. This will be for fixed wireless.

> I have read to use G.729 codec, and TCP for signaling to bypass
firewalls. Besides that, what other settings are recommended?  Changes
in MTU? Changes in voice payload ms? Is there a better codec to use?
Header compression?

> --

I have been looking into running my asterisk server on 4g but the ping
times i'm getting hover around 90-120 ms (mostly).  How many concurrent
calls can I expect to be able to handle as this will only be temporary
until I get my fiber line installed at the building?