[asterisk-users] Asterisk support for Bittorrent Bleep

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Aug 13 11:39:12 CDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Farid Fadaie <farid at bittorrent.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Full disclosure: my name is Farid Fadaie and I'm in charge of BitTorrent
> Bleep (a private P2P SIP-based messaging application in early alpha)
> http://blog.bittorrent.com/2014/07/30/building-an-engine-for-decentralized-communications/
>
> I have personally been a fan of Asterisk and have been using it for years
> and now that we have (kind of) released Bleep, I wanted to ask you guys to
> let us know what you think. Considering that Bleep is built on an engine
> (think of it as a distributed SIP proxy) that supports SIP, I thought it
> might be beneficial to ask you guys for your ideas.
>
> Here is what I have in mind but will be happy to hear your thoughts on
> everything that is relevant to Bleep and Asterisk:
>
> 1- What do you think about supporting Bleep in Asterisk? Similar to Skype
> channels but way more flexible (considering the interface will be SIP). Our
> engine can take care of all lookups, NAT traversals, encryption, etc. We can
> essentially enable Asterisk connected devices to be able to talk to Bleep
> users.

The integration with Skype used a completely separate channel driver.
Without any more information to show otherwise, I'd assume that since
Bleep's protocol is SIP, both chan_sip and chan_pjsip would work "out
of the box".

Are there any specific technical differences between what Bleep and a
"standard" upstream SIP provider would look like to Asterisk?

> 2- How could the Asterisk community benefit from Bleep (or the engine behind
> it)?

I'll defer that question more to users - but I'm sure there are plenty
of people who are interested in secure communication!

{quote}
All links are encrypted.  We are using secure encryption protocols
such as curve25519, ed25519 , salsa20, poly1305, and others. Links
between nodes are encrypted. All communication is end to end
encrypted. This should be the new normal in the post-Snowden era.
{quote}

I think some more specific information about how things are encrypted
would be useful. How do you see Bleep comparing against WebRTC, which
has a similar distribution model for media? (Although signalling is
not distributed; that's obviously a whole different conversation) Are
you using DTLS-SRTP, or something else?

> 3- what features would you like to see implemented in Bleep (the consumer
> app) or its engine?

I'll defer that question more to users as well :-)

> Let's see if we can come up with any interesting idea. Thanks in advance.

So this definitely sounds very interesting. I think some more
technical details about Bleep would be helpful for the Asterisk
developers, so we could see what would be needed for Asterisk to
communicate with Bleep.

Thanks!

Matt

--