[asterisk-users] Loud Ringers and paging systems...

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Wed Aug 6 08:27:30 CDT 2014

> if you use a papt2 or so spa2101 then you could have alert info set
> to different lengths or styles of ringers
>
> i use that in a dorm with phones and have the phones ring short
> rings at night so it wont wake up the students

I do not use either of those devices, but after posting this yesterday, I
did end up coming up with a way to do this making use of Asterisk dialplan
code and the paging side of the paging/night ringer system.

The basic concept is that the original call will run a script that creates
a call file to call the paging system and play a specific audio file. It
also passes into the paging call its channel name. In the call to the
paging system, I use the SHARED function to write back to the original
calls' channel the channel name of the paging call. Then when the original
call is answered, it runs a subroutine that redirects the paging call to a
priority that hangs that call up.

If anyone is interested, I have my proof of concept code that I could post
up to the group.