[asterisk-users] Open Source Asterisk Polling Solution

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 04:40:09 CDT 2014

On Wednesday 23 Apr 2014, Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2014, A J Stiles wrote:
> > ...so absolutely *do not* pay money for a solution, and *do* insist on
> > the Source Code and Modification Rights.
>
> Even an obvious and simple solution has value if it exceeds the OP's skill
> set or the value of his time to implement.

Sure it may have value; but that value does not exceed the value of Source
Code and Modification Rights.

You know what you need today; but you have no idea what you are going to need
tomorrow.  So it's vital that you have the ability to adapt the software you
are using to needs that may arise in future  (also known as Freedom Three).
Exercise of the right to modify software in practice requires access to the
Source Code.

Having seen a former employer  (1)  turn away work for want of enough software
licences  (there was a *big* price jump from 10 users to 25 users)  and  (2)
alter an established workflow to fit in with constraints imposed by new
software, I would *never* accept a piece of software which did not respect my
rights to enjoy, study, share and adapt it.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .