[asterisk-users] Dimensioning asterisk 11

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Apr 17 14:16:42 CDT 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I will be using a dell R320 Xeon E5-2420 2G and 4G RAM.also using a SIP
> trunk with ulaw/alaw codec.
>
> no transcoding or anything. Just call a number and play a gsm file.

How will you do ulaw <-> gsm without transcoding?

> How many calls could I expect to make at the same time?

A whole bunch?

It's hard to give any specifics without the same hardware and workload.

Here's a datapoint to consider -- testing an HP ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2
E3-1240v3 8GB. 9300 passmarks vs your 7300 passmarks. (And only $880 from
Newegg.)

2 hosts, 1 originating calls, 1 running a simple dialplan, but similar to
the expected production dialplan.

500 'participants' - 100 meetme conferences with 5 calls in each.

3000 'participants' - 100 confbridge conferences with 30 calls in each.

Meetme() is still a 'single thread' application so you're done when you
max out 1 CPU core.

500 calls was my goal, so that's where testing stopped.

The hosts aren't in production yet, so I don't know if my testing
experience will match production experience.

I would expect playback() (without transcoding) to be significantly less
CPU hungry than meetme() or confbridge().

--
Thanks in advance,