[asterisk-users] is g729 codec free? or under license???

Jeff Brower jbrower at signalogic.com
Mon Apr 7 23:13:46 CDT 2014

Darryl Moore <darryl <at> moores.ca> writes:

> I'll explain.
>
> The g.729 compression algorithm is not protected by copyright, though
> specific instances may be. It is protected by a patent.
>
> http://www.sipro.com/G-729.html
>
> An open source version is available here:
>
> http://asterisk.hosting.lv/
>
> What stops you from using this, or even your own implementation isn't
> copyright, but patent protection. It is the right to use the patented
> technology that you are licensing, not the particular copyrighted coded
> that implements it.
>
> Here you will find the various G.729 patents which were all granted in
> 1996.
>
> https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/related_ps.aspx?id_prod=3334
>
> I had thought these expired next year because I was thinking patents
> were only 18 years. Turns out they are now 20 years, so they really do
> not expire til some time in 2016. My bad.
>
> So in countries that honour software patents, you need to have a license
> until some time in 2016. In countries which do not, you are free to use
> these open source codes now.
>
> cheers.

Darrel-

The G729 essential patents were *granted* in 1996, but applied for prior to
June 8 1995.  That means their lifespan is either 20 years from their
application date, or 17 years from their grant date, whichever is greater
(http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/p120013.htm).

Either way, they expire in 2014.

-Jeff