[asterisk-users] How to bind to ipv4 & ipv6

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Fri Sep 27 11:25:18 CDT 2013

>From sip.conf.sample included in your Asterisk source tree.  See item c) and the Note:

; With the current situation, you can do one of four things:
;  a) Listen on a specific IPv4 address.      Example: bindaddr=192.0.2.1
;  b) Listen on a specific IPv6 address.      Example: bindaddr=2001:db8::1
;  c) Listen on the IPv4 wildcard.            Example: bindaddr=0.0.0.0
;  d) Listen on the IPv4 and IPv6 wildcards.  Example: bindaddr=::
; (You can choose independently for UDP, TCP, and TLS, by specifying different values for
; "udpbindaddr", "tcpbindaddr", and "tlsbindaddr".)
; (Note that using bindaddr=:: will show only a single IPv6 socket in netstat.
;  IPv4 is supported at the same time using IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses.)
;
; You may optionally add a port number. (The default is port 5060 for UDP and TCP, 5061
; for TLS).
;   IPv4 example: bindaddr=0.0.0.0:5062
;   IPv6 example: bindaddr=[::]:5062
;
; The address family of the bound UDP address is used to determine how Asterisk performs
; DNS lookups. In cases a) and c) above, only A records are considered. In case b), only
; AAAA records are considered. In case d), both A and AAAA records are considered. Note,
; however, that Asterisk ignores all records except the first one. In case d), when both A
; and AAAA records are available, either an A or AAAA record will be first, and which one
; depends on the operating system. On systems using glibc, AAAA records are given
; priority.

udpbindaddr=0.0.0.0             ; IP address to bind UDP listen socket to (0.0.0.0 binds to all)
                                ; Optionally add a port number, 192.168.1.1:5062 (default is port 5060)