[asterisk-users] Problems sending log to rsyslog

Thu Sep 26 10:16:43 CDT 2013

On 26/09/13 15:25, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>        So I have asterisk 1.8.23 and want to send my logs to rsyslog. I
> tell asterisk to use syslog in addition to messages:
>
> root at voip:~# tail -10 /etc/asterisk/logger.conf
> ;debug =>  debug
> console =>  notice,warning,error
> ;console =>  notice,warning,error,debug
> messages =>  notice,warning,error
> ;full =>  notice,warning,error,debug,verbose,dtmf,fax
>
> ;syslog keyword : This special keyword logs to syslog facility
> ;
> syslog.local0 =>  notice,warning,error
> ;
> root at voip:~#
>
> After reloading (asterisk -rx 'logger reload') the logger, it seems
> that Asterisk is happy:
>
> root at voip:~# asterisk -rx 'logger show channels'
> Channel                             Type     Status    Configuration
> -------                             ----     ------    -------------
> syslog.local0                       Syslog   Enabled    - NOTICE WARNING ERROR
> /var/log/asterisk/messages          File     Enabled    - NOTICE WARNING ERROR
>                                      Console  Enabled    - NOTICE WARNING ERROR
> root at voip:~#
>
> So I set rsyslog:
>
> root at voip:~# fgrep asterisk /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
> local0.*                       /var/log/asterisk/messages.log
> root at voip:~#
>
> and restart it. And then check the asterisk log directory:
>
> root at voip:~# ls -lh /var/log/asterisk/
> total 3.7M
> drwxr-xr-x 2 asterisk asterisk 4.0K Jul 22 20:57 cdr-csv
> drwxr-xr-x 2 asterisk asterisk 4.0K Jun 28 14:16 cdr-custom
> -rw-rw---- 1 asterisk asterisk 252K Sep 26 09:37 messages
> -rw-rw---- 1 asterisk asterisk 248K Sep 22 05:14 messages.1
> -rw-r----- 1 syslog   adm         0 Sep 26 06:47 messages.log
> -rw-rw---- 1 asterisk asterisk  118 Sep 26 10:07 queue_log
> root at voip:~#
>
> It does not seem like much is being written to messages.log compared
> to messages. Anything I missed?

Have you checked the /var/log/asterisk directory permissions?

I dont know how rsyslog is setup on your system but its possible it gets
started as root, sees the destination file doesnt exist so creates it
and sets the file permissions, and then drops down to running as the
syslog user. At this point it doesnt have write permission to the
/var/log/asterisk directory so cannot append to the file.