[asterisk-users] Can't connect to Asterisk cli

Asmaa Ahmed asabatgirl at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 07:13:16 CDT 2013

Hello,
I have started using Asterisk recently on my Ubuntu server. I installed it first using apt-get and it worked fine sort of, but still couldn't hear voice during the call!
I read that this problem solved by reinstalling it, so I decided to reinstall the latest version from the source as apt-get can give you only Asterisk 1.8So I have installed Asterisk 11 following the procedure in Asterisk- The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition bookThe installation done with no problem, but now I can't even login to CLI, it keeps returns Linux prompt! ubuntu at vbefe01:/etc/asterisk$ sudo asterisk -rubuntu at vbefe01:/etc/asterisk$ sudo asterisk -vvvvvcubuntu at vbefe01:/etc/asterisk$ sudo asterisk -cvvvubuntu at vbefe01:/etc/asterisk$
and if I don't use sudo, it returns a core dump$ asterisk -vvvvvvcIllegal instruction (core dumped)
I was able to connect before installing the latest version from the source? How can I fix that?
Thanks.