[asterisk-users] RTP port ranges

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Sep 13 05:44:12 CDT 2013

On Friday 13 September 2013, Jonas Kellens wrote:
> On 09/13/2013 11:41 AM, Andrew Colin wrote:
> > Normally you should open ports 10000-20000 udp
> >
> > On 9/13/2013 11:37 AM, Jonas Kellens wrote:
> >> I now see that an IP-address gets blocked by my firewall because
> >> there are packets coming onto port 11955.
>
> Why do I need such a big range ? That's like for 250 concurrent calls !

Having a port open really is not a big deal, unless there's a daemon listening
on it.

In the Windows world, where you usually don't get the Source Code, you never
know what is running on your computer; in which case, you are never sure that
there isn't a daemon listening on a particular port number, so it is wise in
that case not to leave ports open unnecessarily.  (Though not half as wise as
just not running un-audited software in the first place .....)

But this is the Open Source world, and we have the advantage of knowing
exactly what is running our computers.  Open ports going nowhere simply are
not a security concern this side of the fence.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.