[asterisk-users] iax2: two users can't authenticate from same ip address

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 17:25:24 CDT 2013

I'm trying set up asterisk on an amazon instance in Sydney. It's to use
for our kids in Sydney to connect with their friends in the States.

We've found iax works better than sip with these distances. But we now
have weird problem: everybody has a cell phone, and it's much
cheaper/better to use the house internet connection over the phones
wifi. Each cell phone has it's own peer. Each cell phone registers with
the server.

The problem is that once a phone has used the server, no other phone can
use it. The servers sees all the phones as having the same ip address
(though different ports).

iax2 show peers
Name/Username    Host            Mask             Port          Status
     Description
gn               <ipaddr>   (D)  255.255.255.255  1026          OK (101
ms)
home/home        <ipaddr>   (D)  255.255.255.255  4569          OK (85
ms)

but "home" can't make a call:
chan_iax2.c:11157 socket_process_helper: Host <ipaddr> failed to
authenticate as gn

gn can make calls:

-- Registered IAX2 'gn' (AUTHENTICATED) at <ipaddr>:1026