[asterisk-users] 11.4.0: iax packets lost by amazon ec2

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 15:42:55 CDT 2013

On 09/07/2013 01:26 PM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <l0fkfp$4ua$1 at ger.gmane.org>,
> Sean Darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/07/2013 10:33 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:

>>> Are you sure about that? I have found in the past that tcpdump sees inbound
>>> packets before they get to the iptables filter.
>>>
>>> What happens if you do:
>>> iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Tony
>>>

>> Wow! Look:
>>
>>    iptables -L
>> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate
>> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
>> ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
>> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate
>> NEW tcp dpt:ssh
>> REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>> reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>>
>> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>> REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>> reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>>
>> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>> target     prot opt source               destination
>>

>> Which means to me that the INPUT chain will ACCEPT all protocols from
>> anywhere to anywhere.
>
> I suspect there's something that is not being shown there. Try:
>
> # iptables -vnL
>
> (and if pasting it, to post here, try to avoid line-wrapping if possible).
>
>> But no, iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT solves the
>> problem and asterisk now registers my device.
>>
>> Now I have to find a way to make it persistent across reboots.
>
> If your system is RH or CentOS-like, you can do:
>
> # service iptables save
>
> That creates the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables, which is loaded on boot.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

iptables -vnL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
  125K  171M ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0      ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
     0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0
    13   768 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0      ctstate NEW tcp dpt:22
     1    40 REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0         0.0.0.0/0

So this means the packet is accepted only if it comes from the loopback
interface?

I've disabled iptables altogether, now relying on the amazon security group.

Thanks for your help.

sean