[asterisk-users] 11.4.0: iax packets lost by amazon ec2

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 11:33:04 CDT 2013

On 09/07/2013 10:33 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <522A934D.8010006 at gmail.com>,
> Sean Darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> '-t' meand TCP. IAX is UDP.
>>>

>> My bad:
>>
>> netstat -apnu | grep 4569
>> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4569            0.0.0.0:*
>>           3176/asterisk
>>
>> But why isn't asterisk seeing/acting upon the registration request?
>> Wireshark finds the packet to 4569, so it's not a firewall problem.
>
> Are you sure about that? I have found in the past that tcpdump sees inbound
> packets before they get to the iptables filter.
>
> What happens if you do:
> iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Wow! Look:

  iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate
NEW tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Which means to me that the INPUT chain will ACCEPT all protocols from
anywhere to anywhere.

But no, iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT solves the
problem and asterisk now registers my device.

Now I have to find a way to make it persistent across reboots.

Thanks,

sean