[asterisk-users] Tired of dropouts and garbled phone calls - where to go next?

Mark Wiater Mark.Wiater at greybeam.com
Mon Oct 28 15:12:18 CDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 3:59 PM, Ron Wheeler said:
> I am reaching the same level of frustration.
> I have tried to find the source of the problems.
> We have IAX2 to our VoIP provider and SIP phones attached to the Asterisk - No analogue.
I don't have any problems with IAX, but I hear some do.

> We have a very lightly loaded 60 Mbs cable link to the Internet that tests pretty close to that most of the time.
Bandwidth is less important than the overall quality of the internet link, latency and jitter. Either way, there is no QoS on the internet, all bets are off.

The codec can matter too. What are you using?

> I have not found any good tools to track down the causes of poor voice quality.
> In my case, I have good incoming quality and terrible quality going out.
Oh, is your cable connection assymetric? Upload smaller than download? If so, that correlates to terrible audio, right?

> That is, I can hear people perfectly well but they complain that my voice drops out and is garbled regardless of who places the call.
> As a result,  I use Skype for all of my calls and if someone calls me, I call them back on Skype if they have any problems.
> I don't understand why Skype works so well and Asterisk works so poorly on the same environment.
>
> Googling "Asterisk poor audio quality" return several hundred thousand references
I'd not shoot asterisk yet. I'd focus on the internet connection and it's components (cable modem) first.

I use asterisk all over the place. Mostly connected to PRI's and Carrier provided SIP trunks, with internet SIP trunks as backup. I get complaints on the Internet based SIP trunks sometimes, never on other other two.

I'd ask most of these questions of the OP too. Overall telephony design matters.