[asterisk-users] Asterisk is fully Complaint to RFC 3261 ? issue with Max- forward Range.

Sakharam Thorat sakharam.thorat at outlook.com
Thu Oct 17 09:09:08 CDT 2013

Is Asterisk is fully Complaint to RFC 3261 ?
I am facing issue with expire Header , Contact header expire parameter, Max forward header range.?For e.g RFC 3261 say Max-Forward  Header range should be 0-255 Data from RFC->

20.22 Max-Forwards

   The Max-Forwards header field must be used with any SIP method to
   limit the number of proxies or gateways that can forward the request
   to the next downstream server.  This can also be useful when the
   client is attempting to trace a request chain that appears to be
   failing or looping in mid-chain.

   The Max-Forwards value is an integer in the range 0-255 indicating
   the remaining number of times this request message is allowed to be
   forwarded.  This count is decremented by each server that forwards
   the request.  The recommended initial value is 70.

   This header field should be inserted by elements that can not
   otherwise guarantee loop detection.  For example, a B2BUA should
   insert a Max-Forwards header field.

While testing if i Put Max-Forward= 444,in Request message the asterisk server should reply with error responce4XX, but this is not happening,it sending 200 ok back.  simalar issue with expire and contact hheader expire value priority.

Please correct if am wrong.

Please help me to sort out this problem.

Best Regards,Sakharam Thorat.