[asterisk-users] Capture Media IP in CDR (CDR)

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Oct 14 08:49:26 CDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM, CDR <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I need Digium to store this IP in the CDR. I will be honest with the
> government and let them know that my tool is incapable of saving lives
> or safeguarding our national security because nobody thought about
> this.
> PD: I am not paying for a patch, since this is huge burden on a small
> company like mine, with a single employee, and also because the whole
> world will enjoy the benefit. It is not fair that I would have to hire
> somebody to patch Asterisk.
> I appeal to Digium to patch Asterisk.

I won't comment any further on the technical aspects of what you are
looking for; others have already pointed out how various portions of SIP
messages can be stored in CDRs and how these portions of the SIP messages
are (a) actually of more use than the media IP address in the SDP and (b)
meet the requirements being levied by your use case.

That aside, I do think it is important to note here that Asterisk does not,
by default, have a warranty. This is clearly enumerated in sections 10 and
11 of the GPLv2 license included with Asterisk [1]:

    NO WARRANTY

  11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

  12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

     END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS

As you are using software licensed free of charge under the GPLv2, there is
no obligation by anyone in the community or at Digium to provide you with a
patch. If you require assistance, there are many avenues you can choose to
pursue to gain such assistance. Just as you profit by running Asterisk,
others profit by customizing and supporting the Asterisk project. Asterisk
is lucky to have many such talented developers who can assist you with such
a development effort. If you really require this functionality, I highly
suggest that you look to hire said developers to help you with this feature
request [2].

[1] http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/branches/11/COPYING

[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Bug+Bounties

Matt