[asterisk-users] is g729 codec free? or under license???

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Sat Oct 5 10:07:37 CDT 2013

On 2013-10-04 5:36 PM, "Steve Underwood" <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> On 10/05/2013 01:32 AM, Darryl Moore wrote:
>>
>> I'll explain.
>>
>> The g.729 compression algorithm is not protected by copyright, though
>> specific instances may be. It is protected by a patent.
>>
>> http://www.sipro.com/G-729.html
>>
>> An open source version is available here:
>>
>> http://asterisk.hosting.lv/
>>
>> What stops you from using this, or even your own implementation isn't
>> copyright, but patent protection. It is the right to use the patented
>> technology that you are licensing, not the particular copyrighted coded
>> that implements it.
>
> The G.729 codec software at http://asterisk.hosting.lv/actually uses a
codec implementation copyrighted by Intel. You need to obey their copyright
conditions.

correct, and for a few hundred dollars you are free to use it as you see
fit, without royalties. note that i also said that the patent license
applies even on code that you write yourself.

>> Here you will find the various G.729 patents which were all granted in
>> 1996.
>>
>> https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/related_ps.aspx?id_prod=3334
>>

>> I had thought these expired next year because I was thinking patents
>> were only 18 years. Turns out they are now 20 years, so they really do
>> not expire til some time in 2016. My bad.
>
> If you use G.729A (which practically everyone does) I think there are one
or two patent which run beyond 2016, at least in the US.

perhaps. i do not claim to have fully researched either the patents or the
protocol. is 729 compatible with 729a? out of curiosity though i will find
out more about these other patents.

>> So in countries that honour software patents, you need to have a license
>> until some time in 2016. In countries which do not, you are free to use
>> these open source codes now.
>
> What have the essential patents relevant to G.729 got to do with software
patents?

[blink]

umm... they are software patents.