[asterisk-users] Using sqlite3 for CDR logging

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Oct 3 12:24:58 CDT 2013

On 3/10/13 5:52 pm, Tech Support wrote:
>I was
> thinking of using sqlite3 to log CDR's, thinking that would be faster than
> using MySQL. Has anyone ever benchmarked this to quantify just how much
> faster sqlite3 is? Are there any drawbacks to using it?

Lack of multi-user concurrency is the big one.

At the risk of encouraging database contests on the list, have you tried
using PostgreSQL instead? It's a gross generalisation, but In my
experience, PG handles writes better than MySQL, which in turn tends to
handle reads a little faster than PG - assuming both are in 'out of the
box' (i.e. unoptimised) conditions.

If you wanted to stick with MySQL, you might want to have a go at
optimising it - there are quite a few scripts knocking around the web
which run a set of queries on your data and suggest optimisations to apply.

And others have said, running the DB on a separate host is never a bad
thing, and ideally on SSDs or RAM storage if you can. Spinning disks are
often the bottleneck with large data sets.

Kind regards,

Chris