[asterisk-users] is g729 codec free? or under license???

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at granddial.com
Wed Oct 2 08:55:25 CDT 2013

When calling between two g729 client endpoints you do not need any licenses as long as no audio prompts or voicemail is evolved. Also as a sip trunk provider we offer g729 as a source and destination codec this allows you to make calls in and out using g729 (most carrier grade providers offer this option)

You really only need to buy the number of g729 licenses that you will need for callers that require simultaneous transcoding. This is when a callers stream in or out will need to be converted to another codec format.  This occurs when callers are jumping from say g729 to g711 or g729 to g722, g729 to gsm. If you plan things right and make sure any audio prompts your system is using are recorded in g729 as well as g711 and g722 you will reduce the number of g729 license considerable.

Process that use a lot of g729 transcodes. ConfBridge uses g722 so all g729 has to be converted to and from g722 so 10 g729 callers to a confbridge would likely require 10 codecs (**See confbridge trick below). If you have prompts that are not pre-encoded in g729 those would use a transcoder license while playing.  Voicemail would require a license as g729 has to be transcoded to one of the storage formats.

The real number is based on how you are using your system.

ConfBridge Trick - Have seen this used for voicemail as well, Make sure you test when using this method.

  If you can live with using higher bandwidth to the asterisk switch when using confbridges (endpoints also have to support in call reinvites correctly) you can force endpoints to re-invite to g722 before dropping into the conference bridge. This has the upside of not needing to transcode on the server thus improving performance and reducing g729 license requirements. This comes at the cost of needing higher bandwidth between the client endpoints and the phone.  Figure about double the bandwidth when using this method. It may or may not be worth it to you depending on your scenario.

Please let us know if this information helps you.

Thanks

Bryant Zimmerman

Sr. Systems Architect
Grand Dial Communications , A ZK Tech Inc. Company
616-299-5607 (mobile)
616-855-1030 Ext. 2003 (office)