[asterisk-users] Asterisk RTP Questions

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 08:12:06 CST 2013

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding RTP and Asterisk;

I am trialling a new SIP upstream provider. We connect to them over
the Internet at present which I know is not ideal, but we are just
testing at present. During the trials we have had an issue where we
have had one way audio between us and the provider after the call was
successfully set up and bidirectional audio has been already flowing
(so at some point during an existing call, two way audio has dropped
to one way audio).

I am running a constant PCAP which I sent back to the provider. They
have said that the latency has increased or fluctuated to the extent
that RTP as stopped sending audio in one direction (because of our
test peering over the Internet). Weather this is true or not is a
separate issue, what I want to know is;

What is the maximum delay RTP will tolerate one way (Does Asterisk
have a limit too)?

Can this be tuned (increased or decreased) within Asterisk (I'm
thinking of DSL customers where we may have this issue between our
PBXs and the customer)?

How can I monitor for such an effect?

Does anyone else have any / or had any issue like this?

Kind regards,
James.