[asterisk-users] Recurring SIP problem with asterisk 11.6 & 11.7

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 03:09:55 CST 2013

On Wednesday 13 November 2013, Jeremy Kister wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 8:46 PM, Duncan Turnbull wrote:
> > Any chance DNS is dying about the same time the problem occurs
>
> good idea, but I don't use DNS anywhere in Asterisk.  well, except for
> sip.conf:externhost.  it's all IP addresses.

That doesn't matter.  Without a working DNS server, Asterisk will fall over --
even if all your configuration files are using IP addresses and you have all
your own machines in /etc/hosts .

Probably the easiest thing to do is just install bind9 on your Asterisk box
(and make sure to put
nameserver 127.0.0.1
in its resolv.conf).  BIND is pretty lightweight as servers go, so should not
impact badly on performance, especially if it's the only machine using it.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.