[asterisk-users] 11.5.0 - SIP registration not retrying after failures

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 09:39:25 CST 2013

I had a SIP problem on an 11.5.0 system that I look after. It registers
with a SIP trunk provider, and at one point the provider had an issue that
caused registration to fail.

The problem was that Asterisk did not keep retrying, and it was not until
it was restarted that registration was re-established.

Here are the entries in the full log:

[Nov  5 21:19:12] NOTICE[3248] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for 'username at nn.nn.nnn.nn' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)
[Nov  5 21:19:32] NOTICE[3248] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for 'username at nn.nn.nnn.nn' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)
[Nov  5 21:19:52] NOTICE[3248] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for 'username at nn.nn.nnn.nn' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)
[Nov  5 21:19:56] WARNING[3248] chan_sip.c: Forbidden - wrong password on authentication for REGISTER for 'username' to 'nn.nn.nnn.nn'

The output of "sip show registry" was as follows:
CLI> sip show registry
Host                                    dnsmgr Username       Refresh State                Reg.Time
nn.nn.nnn.nn:5060                       N      username            23 No Authentication    Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:18:28
1 SIP registrations.

There was evidently a temporary authentication problem at the provider.
Does a Forbidden response cause Asterisk to decide never to retry?
Even if it is a rare situation, is it possible to configure Asterisk to
recover from it automatically by retrying?

I checked sip.conf, and registerattempts was left unset (defaults to 0=forever).
I couldn't see any other relevant settings.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield