[asterisk-users] Asterisk - Soundcard - Recording?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed May 29 08:24:28 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

> I'll take a stab, since you said no GUI and also USB based mic.
> Raspberry Pi project?  I'm interested in this vein as well,

Nope, the RPi is not a component. BUT, a good suggestion for a small board. I'll keep it in mind.

> especially
> after the recent post about voice recognition.  I was thinking that
> Raspberry Pi's with mics could live around my house and all have
> dedicated always-open channels to a conference bridge in the main
> asterisk box.   I was planning on using ALSA and a USB mic on a local
> Raspberry Pi asterisk instance.

Very interesting. You could use the CONSOLE for the audio device and at the same time get the ability to make/take calls via Asterisk CLI or .call files.

> So given that we know basically what you are trying to do, the
> original
> question was OSS versus ALSA for USB mic, correct?  Has anyone had
> any
> thoughts on that?  I thought ALSA was built in to the kernel and OSS
> required some hacks.  But that is a pretty fuzzy recollection.

I think it depends on the kernel being used. Research is needed, but IIRC, you are correct, ALSA is included or at least fully supported whereas other sound systems are 'less than stellar'.

--Tim