[asterisk-users] Asterisk - Soundcard - Recording?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue May 28 11:45:20 CDT 2013

Greetings-

I've got a curious project that I could use some input on. I'd like to use Asterisk to record some audio channels via USB 'soundcard'. When audio passes through the soundcard, Asterisk should grab that audio channel (CONSOLE?), and write it to a wav file. I'm perfectly competent with the dialplan portion of the recording, but I don't know about the following:

-How does Asterisk "know" a new audio stream/source is beginning/ending?
-Can I have more than one "CONSOLE" device
-Is ALSA or OSS the preferred audio system with Asterisk these days (Asterisk 11 presumably)

Any thoughts? Or, do you have any alternative ideas that would work better than using Asterisk for this?

Thanks!

--Tim