[asterisk-users] RED on DAHDI channel

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Tue May 28 10:53:45 CDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:14:41PM -0500, Mitch Claborn wrote:
> Asterisk 11.1
>
> We have a situation where one of our incomings POTS lines will not
> answer.  There are 2 lines configured by the Telco as a rollover
> group (rings the line that is not busy) and they feed into a Digium
> AEX410 on the server.  The most recent time this happened, I did a
> /etc/init.d/dahdi status and saw this:
>
> ### Span  4: WCTDM/1 "Wildcard AEX410"
> *53 FXO        FXSKS       (EC: VPMOCT032 - INACTIVE)  RED*
>  54 FXO        FXSKS       (EC: VPMOCT032 - INACTIVE)
>  55 FXO        FXSKS       (EC: VPMOCT032 - INACTIVE)  RED
>  56 FXO        FXSKS       (EC: VPMOCT032 - INACTIVE)  RED
>
> 55 and 56 are always red - there is nothing plugged into those
> ports.  53 and 54 are the active lines.  I restarted dahdi
> (/etc/init.d/dahdi stop then start) and it started working again,
> and the RED on 53 was gone.
>
> Is there something else I can do to try and figure out what is going
> on, and maybe how to prevent it?

Hi Mitch,

What version of DAHDI are you using? Unfortunately I did insert a
bug on 2.6.0 where it was possible for a channel on an AEX410 to get
stuck in RED alarm depending on the timing from the central office.
If you're not using 2.6.0+ you can ignore the remainder of this
email.

The bug was fixed in 2.6.2 in "wctdm24xxp: Eliminate chance for
channel to be stuck in RED alarm." [1] but unfortunately, that fix
had a problem of it's own which was fixed in "wctdm24xxp: Fix FXO
failure to detect battery CO disconnects." [2]. This just means
there isn't currently a release of the 2.6 branch that contains all
the recommended fixes.

If you were on the 2.6 branch, then I advise installing the current
tip of the 2.6.y branch like:

  $ git clone git://git.asterisk.org/dahdi/linux dahdi-linux -b 2.6.y
  $ cd dahdi-linux
  $ make install

[1] http://git.asterisk.org/gitweb/?p=dahdi/linux.git;a=commit;h=41639330a59
[2] http://git.asterisk.org/gitweb/?p=dahdi/linux.git;a=commit;h=160edc8c9db

If you don't have git installed on the machine you would like to
install this on, you can use the 'snapshot' link when looking at the
shortlog of the 2.6.y branch at git.asterisk.org [3] which will
allow you to download a tar.gz file.

[3] http://git.asterisk.org/gitweb/?p=dahdi/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/2.6.y

--