[asterisk-users] Integration with skype

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu May 23 05:25:45 CDT 2013

On Thursday 23 May 2013, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hello;
>
> There is no free channel to be used to have integration between asterisk
> and skype?

No; because by design, Skype is proprietary and closed, and takes various
extreme measures to block out all attempts to interoperate with it, or even to
try to work out how to.  This is the absolute antithesis of telecommunications
(when you buy an ordinary analogue phone, you take for granted that it will be
compatible with any telco's wires; and when you buy a SIM, you take for
granted that it will fit any manufacturer's handset),  but obviously it's good
for the whole profit thing.

> What is the software that I can use to send and receive chat
> messages on skype network?

Actual Skype on one device that thinks it's talking to a headset; but is
actually plumbed into a soundcard on another device, running a softphone
client that adheres to published standards  (which are, after all, the only
standards Asterisk can possibly follow).

If that sounds like an overly-complex solution, just tell your correspondents
to use something other than Skype.  It's what everyone else is doing, pending
someone hacking the Skype protocols open or leaking the Source Code.

Skype is NOT nice.  Skype is evil, proprietary and toxic.  It is the bully who
pretends to be your friend, then gets you into trouble.  Run, don't walk, away
from it.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.