[asterisk-users] Auto dialer scripts and software

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed May 22 04:54:38 CDT 2013

On Friday 17 May 2013, cjwstudios wrote:
> A friend asked me for help to auto-dial and play a prerecorded message for
> a political campaign.  I've briefly googled auto dialer scripts but haven't
> seen one that really stands out.  Are there any free or cheap auto dial
> solutions that you nice folks recommend?

You do know that sort of thing is against the law -- or at least requires a
permit from the authorities -- in most civilised countries, right?  You can
get into a *lot* of trouble if you are not careful.

If you are quite sure it's legal in your jurisdiction, and you have written
permission if required, then it's a simple enough matter just to create a call
file that will connect some real-world number with a local extension which just
waits for the call to be bridged, then plays a sound file.  Easy enough in your
favourite scripting language.

If the call file is definitely smaller than one block  (the size of which
depends on your file system),  it should be OK to write in situ.  Otherwise,
write it under /tmp or somewhere and then use the system command "mv" to move
it to /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ after closing it.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.