[asterisk-users] Asterisk and hylafax: how to debug ...

Sebastian Niehaus niehaus at web.de
Tue May 7 11:23:51 CDT 2013

Hi,

I hope you might give me some hints on how to find where my
configuration is wrong, I am new to Asterisk and do not know, how to
find the problem.

Running Asterisk (version: 1.8.13.1~dfsg-3) on Debian Wheezy. On the
same maschine: Hylafax fax server. I want hylafax to use t38modem (a
virtual T.38 modem) for sending faxes. t38modem schould connect to
asterisk on the same host.

If hylafax sends a fax it should use t38modem which ist connected to
asterisk. Asterik is expected to establish an outbound connection to my
SIP provider which supports T38. The asterisk box is behind nat.

For some reason, t38modem tells hylafax the line is BUSY so there is no
fax send.
I don't know why there is a busy signal, maybe the call forwarding
configuration is wrong, maybe the registration on my SIP provider fails,
maybe ....?

I simply don't know how to debug what's going on. If Asterix trying to
establish an outgoing connection ... Maybe you can help to enlighten me :-)

---------[ sip.conf ]----------------------------------------------

[general]
context=default
bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
srvlookup=yes
localnet=192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
localnet=127.0.0.1
externhost=hostname.no-ip.org
;disallow=all
;allow=ulaw
;allow=alaw
language=de
nat=yes

; incoming
register => 4953610000000:password at sip.1und1.de/4953610000000

; local SIP-Account where t30modem registers
[30]
callerid=T38modem<30>
host=dynamic
;domain=127.0.0.1
;host=  127.0.0.1
:permit=127.0.0.1
user=30
secret=password
type=friend
;mailbox=30
nat=no
context=fax_out
;port=6060
canreinvite=no
t38pt_udptl=yes

[20]
; FritzBox
; this is an ATA, but this entry is
; probably not needed; the ATA does not register
; a SIP account on asterisk.
callerid=FritzBox<20>
type=friend
username=20