[asterisk-users] Testing 911 call

James Miller paramedic18 at gmail.com
Sun May 5 19:10:08 CDT 2013

I actually work in a 911 center.  Please do not dial blindly to do a test
call.  Please call the non-emergency dispatch number, ask if it would be ok
to make one or two test calls.  If they give you the ok, please complete
those calls as quickly as possible as conditions change in an instant.  If
they give you permission at 9am, don't wait until 5pm to do the test.
 Further, most 911/PSAP centers are not busy after 10pm local time, please
consider doing your testing in the overnight hours.  Again, please check
with your local 911/PSAP to confirm when their peak times are and try to
avoid them.

Here is a good script to read when speaking to the 911 call taker:

Hello my name is (your name) with (company name).  We are performing a test
911 call and would like to confirm some information if you have a moment.
 (if they answer go ahead, continue with the script.  If they advise now is
not a good time, say thank you and disconnect.  In a 30 to 60 minutes call
the non-emergency number and ask if you may make another test call)

(continuing the script)  Can you please confirm the address that shows up
on your phone system please? (wait and confirm the info)  Great thank you.
 If you can, please tell me the number you show we are calling from? (wait
and confirm)  Can you confirm for me which 911/PSAP center we have reached?
( wait and confirm this is the proper 911/PSAP you need)  (if this is the
first of several calls:)  Thank you very much for your time, we will be
making (xx number) of calls in the next few minutes.  (if this is the end
of your testing:)  Thank you very much for your time, this concludes our
testing.

Good luck with your phone testing.

Regards,
James

"I see blindness, not as a disability, but more of an ability.  And Sight
actually, more of a disability because some people with sight tend to judge
others by what they see on the outside, whereas I don't see that. I just
see that which is in a person."  Patrick Henry Hughes, Louisville
Kentucky,2008