[asterisk-users] dahdi-channels.conf vs. chan_dahdi.conf

Rusty Newton rnewton at digium.com
Thu Mar 28 10:28:19 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ken D'Ambrosio" <ken at jots.org>

> Hey, all.  Just added an analog card to our dual-T1 system... and
> clearly I'm doing something wrong.  Less interested in having the
> specifics pointed out than in finding out how/why certain things
> work.
> So, really, three things:
>
> * What the bloody Hell is the difference between dahdi-channels.conf
> and chan_dahdi.conf?  (And who thought it was a good idea to have two
> files with, apparently, different functionality, but very similar
> names?)

dahdi-channels.conf is generated by dahdi_genconf so as to not accidentally overwrite chan_dahdi.conf. You should #include dahdi-channels.conf inside of dahdi_genconf.  You can use #include's in all Asterisk config files. Various asterisk distributions break out conf files into multiple files using includes for compartmentalization and ease of user customization.

> * If I'm getting power to my analog phones, but no dial tone, which
> file should I be editing?

You should be editing whichever file contains the options you need to edit. You shouldn't have duplicated settings between the two files - if you do, you should resolve that.

> * Likewise (and almost certainly related) if dahdi_cfg shows the
> channels, but "dahdi show channels" only shows my T1 spans, which
> file
> should I be editing?

You should make sure the missing channels are configured appropriately in either chan_dahdi.conf or dahdi-channels.conf files.

> Could someone point me to some sample analog configs?  Most of my
> searches have wound me up with GUI folks, and I'm just doing good
> ol-fashioned hand editing on an Ubuntu system.

http://docs.digium.com/TDM410/analog410series_manual.pdf  see pages 38-44

Hope those help!

--
Rusty Newton