[asterisk-users] Optimizing Asterisk Environment

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:21:29 CDT 2013

Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for your responses. We have been working on a
SIP/RTP Proxy+Asterisk in backed by MySQL for a few weeks. Everything
is working nicely I am pleased to say. And will be making some
donations for G729 licenses etc.. (it's the least we can do to support
the cause).

Speaking about transcoding cards. We are functioning 100% on SIP using
u/alaw and eventually G729. Some typical observations being great
performance when not using G729 :)...
Is there any transcoding happening when using only G729 and no other
codec? We tried "disallow=all" and "allow=g729" and judging by the CPU
load "260%" there seems to be...

I hope this is not a silly question, but if we force the DID reseller
to send only G729 encoded media, our asterisk server only allows G729,
and finally for termination most sip trunk providers have g729 in
there list of supported codecs, would there still be transcoding
happening on our * box? I hope this is not as silly question as I
think....

To answer your question, we also tried with only ulaw and alaw and we
seem to be stuck on exactly 101 peak. Is there a "limit" setting
hidden in one of the "*.conf" files?

We let sipp run for almost 3 hours on our box, from another local
computer using the following command:

<extensions.conf>

exten => 1002,1,Answer
exten => 1002,n,Goto(demo,s,1)
exten => 1002,n,Hangup

./sipp -sn uac -d 10000 -s 1002 test.example.com -l 200 -mp 5606:

And we got the following results: http://pastebin.com/J0YCprCb

At 9.4 cps 96963 calls were executed with 0 failed calls. Where is the
concurrent call figure in this tool? Please forgive me still getting
use to it :).

In regards to hardware transcoding cards for SIP protocol. Please let
us know of some digium solutions. Again, we would love to support the
cause.

Nick.