[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and dual stack support

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Fri Mar 22 19:49:31 CDT 2013

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:07:57 +0100, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> This is well explained here: http://serverfault.com/a/39561

Indeed, that's the solution!

There is a file, called /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf, on my system that
sets /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only to 1 and it's been there since June
2010 when I installed Debian squeeze on my server machine (while squeeze
was still in its testing phase). I currently have squeeze running on
almost a dozen other machines, but this file exists on only two of them.
The rest all have bindv6only set to 0. I have no idea how this file got
installed on these three machines; dpkg can find no record of it, so some
package must have created it.

However, until now it's never been a problem. I never noticed that any of
the other IPv6-capable server software packages that I've been running
were affected by it, until I started testing this version of Asterisk.
So, why is this file here at all? It contains this comment:

  When IPV6_V6ONLY is enabled, daemons interested in both IPv4
  and IPv6 connections must open two listening sockets. This is
  the default behaviour of almost all modern operating systems.

If that's true, then I guess Asterisk's behavior in this case is a little
out of date. But, with bindv6only set to 0, at least now when I set
'bindaddr=::' in sip.conf Asterisk will support both IPv4 and IPv6
instead of only the latter.

Thanks, Jakob!

Cheers,

Jaap