[asterisk-users] Diagnosing call problem

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Mar 22 13:13:41 CDT 2013

Mitch Claborn wrote:

> Interestingly, using Bria we sometimes see similar, though not exactly
> the same, symptoms.  That would make me wonder about the TCP stack on
> the client machine, or similar.

With a softphone, you're dependent on the entire software stack up to the
softphone and at the mercy of every other process.  They're often a cheaper
solution, but the trade-off comes in the form of reliability and stability.

> We are close to ditching the soft phones entirely for this call center
> and going to the Digium D40.  I put one of those in service this morning
> and the calls are noticeably clearer and there have been no reported
> problems.

The hardphone eliminates a lot of variables, so it's a very good idea to at
least use them in your test environment.  Using them in production may be more
expensive at first, but if they're easier to manage then they may be more
economical in the long run.

Good luck and I hope you get to go home this weekend.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer